Planning For Your Retreat in Peru
- You'll fly into Cusco Airport. I will arrange for a private shuttle to bring you to The Green House B&B. All the transport between the airport and the retreat center is included in your tuition and will be set up with reputable and trustworthy companies that are regularly used by The Green House B&B.
- Plan to arrive at Cusco on November 1st by 3pm.
- Plan to leave on a flight out of Cusco after noon on November 10th.
- You might be required to wait at the airport for other people arriving that will be joining your shuttle but it should be rather short. I suggest you grab a big bottle of water and have a small snack with you for the drive. The trip from the airport to the center is approximately 1.5 hours.
- If you have not already booked your flight I suggest you begin to track the flights using Kayak trip watcher (or similar) or by using an app. I personally use and like Hopper (http://www.hopper.com). Once you have your flights booked, please forward your itinerary to me so I can coordinate your shuttles.
Health + Safety:
- Peru is a developing country and while I do not have any concern about our safety, I still recommend practicing caution and good common sense while traveling abroad.
- The retreat center has never had incidence. That said, leave your valuable jewelry at home and don't be flashy with your electronics or money while at the airport or in the city.
- You can read about health and safety concerns for Peru on the Center for Disease Control website here as well as recommendations for vaccines. It is up to you to do research and decide if you want to opt for the various vaccines available.
- If you take regular medications or need to have emergency meds on hand (like inhalers or EpiPens) make sure you have an adequate supply upon arrival. While basic toiletries and necessities will be available, things like this will be more difficult to find once at the lake.
- Some people like to take out travel insurance when they travel abroad. Again, this is totally up to you. There are several good companies that offer it. http://worldnomads.com and http://www.csatravelprotection.com are good places to start.
- The Green House B&B will take cash (USD, Soles, or Euro) at the end of the week for any incidentals but that may not be the case for smaller places around town.
- Restaurants and shops you might visit will possibly take USD but you will undoubtedly pay a higher fee than if you pay in local currency which is Soles.
- ATM's offer the best rates and there will inevitably be one at the airport when you arrive. There is also one at the neighboring village about 15 minutes from The Green House However, it's also easy to order some money (Peruvian Soles) from your bank before you come and might give you a better exchange rate. I'd recommend $300 worth of Soles and some USD on hand. Cash is king so don't plan on using your credit card much outside of the airports and big city.
- I can give you more accurate and up-to-date info once I arrive in Peru myself in Oct.
Retreat Schedule & Excursions:
This is a tentative schedule and is subject to change so I ask you to hold it lightly. I am providing it for you now so that you have a sense of what to expect and can begin exploring how you might like to spend your off time in the area.
- November 1st - Arrival & Welcome Dinner
- November 2nd - AM + PM Retreat Sessions with free time after lunch
- November 3rd - AM + PM Retreat Sessions with free time after lunch
- November 4th - Free day
- November 5th - AM + PM Retreat Sessions with free time after lunch
- November 6th - AM Session + Free afternoon.
- November 7th - Group Trip to Machu Picchu
- November 8th - Free morning + PM Session
- November 9th - AM + PM Sessions
- November 10th - Breakfast + Departures
You can find information about activities in the area here. Note that not all links are active but if you're interested we can ensure you get the needed information.
I will provide you with a recommended packing list about 6 weeks before the retreat. I'll be arriving in Peru sometime in October so I'll have a better idea of what kinds of things you might want to bring or consider before coming. I'll send you a link back to this page once this part is filled out :)